What is The Essence? What is The Truth? What is The Self?


'Bring hither a fruit of that nyagrodha tree.' 'Here it is, Venerable Sir.' 'Break it.' 'It is broken, Venerable Sir.' 'What do you see there?' 'These extremely fine seeds, Venerable Sir.' 'Of these, please break one.' 'It is broken, Venerable Sir.' 'What do you see?' 'Nothing at all, Venerable Sir.'

Then he said to him, 'My dear, that single essence which you do not perceive, verily, my dear, from that very essence this great nyagrodha tree exists. Believe me, my dear.

That which is the subtle essence, this whole world has for its self. That is the true. That is the self. That art thou Śvetaketu.' 'Please, Venerable Sir, instruct me still further.' 'So be it, my dear,' said he.

- Chāndogya Upaniṣad, VI. 12. i - iii (Translation by S. Radhakrishnan in The Principal Upaniṣads, p 462)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rule of Uno

Why And Who Should Seek The Knowledge Of The Self?

Easy Start Into Spirituality For Beginners